Raise your hand if you’ve ever kept an item because you thought, “I know I can use that someday….” Yet someday never comes. That item gets shoved in a closet or in the garage to become faded, dusty, moldy and when pulled back out one day you say to yourself, “Where did THAT come from??”
GUILTY! It’s hard for many of us to throw away items that may have life left in them.
Here are a few simple rules to implement if this sounds like you:
- Try the 1 week rule. If you haven’t found a new purpose for the item then OUT it goes.
- While deciding where, how and what to repurpose the item for place it in a conspicuous spot. This way you’ll pass by it and be reminded that the clock is ticking and you need to decide if it’s going to stay or go.
- In order for an item to be repurposed it must be functional, sturdy, clean, and have a place and purpose.
- Donate, Donate, Donate! If you can’t use it someone else can.
- Think outside the box. (So cliché, I know.) Here are a few items that I’ve repurposed in my own home.